CEG has successfully completed the letting of a further 18,500 sq ft of its flagship, seven-storey office development at Kirkstall Forge to Zenith Vehicle Contracts.
A new ‘chameleon’ bar/restaurant has opened at the flagship £400 million Kirkstall Forge development in Leeds.
The new venture, called ‘Butlers’, after the historic site’s former owners, will be operated by newly established contract catering firm, Eat & Best. The launch of Butlers has created three full-time and eight part-time jobs.
Located within the flagship Number One Kirkstall Forge building, Butlers will serve the 1,000 employees within the first office development, rail users, visitors as well as the future residential community.
It will operate as a deli and restaurant during the day and a bar concept in the evening. Renowned chef Richard Walton-Allen (ex-Harvey Nichols and the Create Foundation and chef consultant) and Mark Dawson (group executive head chef) have acted as consultants on the project and designed menus for both food in the deli restaurant and a range of items to go, including a range of low carb, high-energy items.
It is hoped a doorstep delivery service will be introduced for residents in the future. There will also be a Click and Collect facility for the Butler’s restaurant and hospitality menu and dry cleaning for residents and office workers.
CEG is leading the development of the 57 acre, £400 million Kirkstall Forge scheme, which is connected to Leeds City Centre in just six minutes by a new purpose-built railway station. When complete, the site will be a mixed-use, contemporary urban village of 1,050 new homes, 300,000 sq ft of offices and 100,000 sq ft of retail, leisure and community space including a new school.
With an 800-year history, Kirkstall Forge is the oldest continually industrialised site in the UK. Founded as a monastic forge in the 13th Century, by the monks of the adjacent Kirkstall Abbey.
For six generations from 1779, the management of the forge was in the hands of Butler family. Under the Butler’s management the forge went from strength to strength, a feat which is now being recognised by the new chameleon bar/restaurant brand and the first street names.
In the nineteenth century manufacturing iron goods in greater variety began and with the development of the railways, the Butlers created an engineering arm, manufacturing railway wheel axles and wagons. With the coming of motor vehicles Kirkstall Forge fast became one of the largest manufacturers of motor axles in the country.
In 1851, Beecroft, Butler and Co of Kirkstall Forge secured an award for its engineering products at the Great Exhibition, an event held at the original Crystal Palace and spearheaded by Prince Albert.
To commemorate the Butler’s long and successful history with the site, CEG has called the main entrance road into site down to the river, ‘Butlers Wharf’ and the loop road around the first flagship office and railway station, ‘Great Exhibition Way’.